Carrot and potato mash with white pepper and butter was something I grew up with during my childhood. I remember it was one of my dad, Coen’s favourite dishes – he loved to scoop it onto his plate when it was still piping hot. He always added an extra bit of butter and more white pepper – Coen liked to spice things up and … the richer, the better. He was so in my thoughts when i made this dish on Dinner Divas – he would have been proud that I transformed the dish from the “boere tafel” of my childhood to an exotic type of Moroccan flavoured dish.
I did not mash it but rather crushed the potato, adding the butter and white pepper in remembrance of my dad and giving it that North African twist by adding dates and coriander. You would have loved it dad. You encouraged me to live one day at a time, to be crazy + to be myself, to cry + laugh every day, to live my dream, to travel the world, to give more than what I have, to try and fix whats wrong, to never give up, not to get discouraged by disappointment, to stand up and try again, to be adventurous, to be me … today I miss you so much … with love … your biscuit.
carrot + potato + date crush
- 200g Potatoes – peeled and cut in big blocks
- 200g Carrots – peeled and sliced
- 35g Dates – chopped
- ⅛t Salt
- 20g Butter
- Pinch of white pepper
- 2T Coriander coarsely chopped
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- Boil carrots and potatoes together till cooked. Crush with a fork – this is not mash so we don’t want it fine like mash.
- Add the rest of the ingredients - mix well and serve hot with a few chopped dates on top of the dish.