Tomatoes + feta + basil has always presented a really classic combination. By slow roasting the tomatoes one is able to extract that deep, concentrated sweet flavour. My suggestion would be to serve this salad with a slice of toasted sourdough bread or just as a spritely side dish at your summer braai.
Watch me make this by clicking here.
- 500g baby tomatoes, halved
- 100 ml olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 200g feta cheese
- handful of basil leaves
- salt and black pepper for seasoning
- Mix the tomatoes, olive oil, salt, pepper and sugar together and roast in a pre-heated oven at 180°C for one hour. Take out of oven, sprinkle with balsamic vinegar, mix well and let it cool down. Taste for seasoning.
- Let it cool down to room temperature.
- Crumble the feta and add to the tomatoes and the juices. Serve with torn basil leaves.