“The Italian Ramen is a delicious cross-cultural take on chicken soup. The angel hair pasta represents Italy; the soft-boiled egg and chile oil evoke Japan” – Food & Wine
Italian Ramen – I have this lovely American colleague that started working with me this year and she reports to me what she cooked the night before (and I of course report to her :-)) and sometimes she brings along a small tester portion for me to taste. The American’s name is Madeleine. I needed to clarify that because I have another American in my life that I love dearly – she is another talented foodie and I will talk about her at a later stage.
So one morning Madeleine brought this delicious chicken based soup to the office – an Italian Ramen. It just blew me away – the chicken broth was so intense and just perfectly infused with the herbs. The chicken was cooked to perfection and the crunchy carrots added a wonderful sweetness and texture to the dish. Madeleine sent me a link to this specific recipe on Food & Wine’s website and I decided to make it – this is not a dish you want to fiddle with – It is perfect as is. It takes about 3.5 hours to make but its well worth doing it.
This soup is served with a beautiful soft boiled egg – the traditional Ramen way … the egg compliments the dish but does not steal the limelight from the perfect chicken broth and succulent fleshiness of the white chicken meat.
So here is a quick guide to boiling the perfect soft boil egg:
Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil add the eggs and cook for 5 minutes. While the eggs are boiling fill another large bowl with cold water. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the eggs to the bowl of cold water for 2 minutes. Crack the shells and peel the eggs.
- For the broth
- 1.3kg Chicken, cut into quarters
- 2 White skinned onions, quartered
- 4 Large carrots, cut into large chunks
- 4 Celery sticks, cut into large chunks
- 4 Thyme sprigs
- 2 Rosemary sprigs
- 2 Basil sprigs
- Other ingredients
- 2 Carrots cut into fine matchsticks
- 6 Large soft boiled eggs
- 500g Angel hair pasta
- Chilli oil
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- Few basil leaves to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 260°C. Arrange the chicken in a roasting pan and roast until the skin is lightly browned – for +- 20 – 30 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken and any juices to a soup pot. Add the onions, carrot chunks, celery and herb sprigs. Add 3.8L of water and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderate heat until the chicken is cooked, about 30 minutes.
- Using tongs, remove the chicken from the broth and let cool slightly.
- Remove the meat from the bones and pull into shreds; discard the skin.
- Return the bones to the pot and simmer until the broth is reduced to 8 cups, about 1½ hours.
- Strain the broth, discard the solids and skim off the fat. Season the broth with salt and keep warm.
- Return the water to a boil and add the pasta. Cook until al dente. Drain and divide the pasta between 6 large soup bowls.
- Top with the shredded chicken, carrot matchsticks and soft-boiled eggs.
- Ladle the hot broth on top, add some chillie oil and garnish with basil leaves and serve hot.